Photobucket

Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Business Email Account Was Deleted by Yahoo!

Yesterday morning I went to go sign into the email account on Yahoo! that I use for The Emilee Grace Company. I type in all my information and nothing happens. I try again. Nothing. I check and recheck my username and password, making sure each letter and character is correct. Still nothing. Okay, that's weird. I click on the place to reset my password and it asks me for my login. So, I type that in only to be told that an account with that username does not exist. Hmmmm...........this can NOT be good as I have all sorts of important information on there.

I track down a phone number for Yahoo! customer service (which that in and of itself was an adventure and not readily available) and give them a call. I was told that my account has been close, deactivated, something like that, due to a violation of the Terms of Service. I was then told that the only thing I can do to "try" to rectify this is to send an email to them. They would not give me a person or department to talk to. Now you know and I know that everyone answers to someone. There has to be someone that will respond to my email, a live person. Why couldn't I talk to them? As if I was unhappy enough about this situation, my opinion of Yahoo! is definitely not the same. But, I digress. So I send an email, it comes back. I send it again. It comes back again. Apparently I left out "." somewhere. Sheesh!

While waiting for a response back from Yahoo! I begin to do some research. First off, I go and read Yahoo!'s Terms of Service - section 6. I read them and re-read them. I have done nothing wrong. It amazes me how I CONTINUOSLY receive emails telling me that I have "won the lottery", "someone in Nigeria has died and left me money", "I'm the winner of some phenominal contest" of which I've never entered, and all the wack-o's who send this garbage out continue to do so but I use my email address for strictly business, violating nothing, get deleted. I'm still peeved about it.

To make matters worse, after doing some research online about this, I've discovered that when this happens there is no retrieving any old account. Once it's gone, it's gone. Contacts, emails, everything. That is insane! How in the world can Yahoo! do this without some kind of waiting period if this is in fact true. It makes no sense to me.

So, while I wait for "someone" to respond to my email trying to resolve this matter, I figured I should warn people that this can happen so be very careful. Read the Terms of Service. Keep your contacts in some file offline. If it turns out that Yahoo! really has deleted ALL of my information in error, then I'm done with them. My homepage will go to google and I'll change my personal Yahoo! account as well.

I will keep you posted!

post signature